UCON™ Quenchant A-NN (non-nitrite) is a nonflammable polymeric quenchant manufactured by The Dow Chemical Company. It is an aqueous solution of a liquid organic polymer and a corrosion inhibitor. The organic polymer is soluble in water and produces a homogenous solution. At temperatures above 165°F (74°C), however, the polymer separates from water as an insoluble phase.
UCON Quenchant A-NN if formulated with a proprietary non-nitrite corrosion inhibitor that is completely compatible with UCON Quenchant A without nitrosamine formation. Analogous quenching performance is obtained with either UCON Quenchant A or A-NN. When hot metal is quenched in a diluted solution of UCON Quenchant A or A-NN, a film of the liquid organic polymer is deposited on the surface of the hot metal. The rate at which the metal is cooled is governed, in part, by the thickness of the polymer-rich film. The thickness of this film is controlled by the concentration of UCON Quenchant A-NN in the quench bath.
The cooling rate is also controlled by adjusting the quench bath temperature and/or the rate of agitation. These parameters, along with product orientation, allow UCON Quenchant A-NN to function uniformly in the heat transfer range from water to medium-speed oils.
UCON Quenchant A-NN is:
• Readily adapted to induction and flame hardening, both spray quench, and immersion, for such items as gears, crankshafts, camshafts, and other pieces of intricate geometry and different metallurgy.
• May follow either oxidizing or protective atmosphere furnaces of shake, pit, rotary or continuous design. They may be used for continuous case quenching and for general hardening of forged and cast steels and cast irons.
• Proven quenching agent for wrought, cast, dip brazed, and forged aluminum alloys. Compared to water-quenching, UCON Quenchant A and A-NN reduce residual stresses in aluminum alloys, resulting in extensive straightening, potential cost savings and improved uniformity of mechanical results.
• Minimize replacement control because of low deterioration and/or oxidation rate. The major make-up requirement is for water lost by evaporation.
• Eliminate the smoke, soot and residues common to oil quenchants. Equipment maintenance and plant cleanliness are easier to maintain.
• Soluble in water and resistant to bacterial growth
• Not affected by freezing/thawing in any way
• Super-compliant for California SCAQMD Rule 1144
• Classified as “FM Approved” as tested against the latest testing criteria
• UCON Quenchant A product meets AMS 3025B specifications
• Certified Aerospace SAE AMS 3025C Type 1 Polymer Quenchant
• Boeing BAC 5602 AF Approved
|Weight, 68°F (20°C)
|Specific Gravity, 68°F (20°C)
|Flash Point (COC), ASTM D 92
|Rust Inhibition, ASTM D 665A
||2375 – 2900 SUS
(IFT 40/ATAGO PAL-1)