Chemtool Incorporated, founded in 1963, is dedicated to the manufacture, technical service and marketing of lubricant specialties.
The core competency for Chemtool is in water and oil-based technologies for industrial applications worldwide. Corporate headquarters are located in Rockton, Illinois with production facilities located in Rockton, Illinois and research laboratories located in Rockton, Illinois and Crystal Lake, Illinois, located northwest of Chicago. New manufacturing and laboratory capacity were built in 1997 in Milan, Michigan. An additional manufacturing facility was built in Tehachapi California in 1998. In 2002, Chemtool Incorporated opened its Diegem, Belgium, distribution facility for shipments throughout Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.
Chemtool Incorporated has made two acquisitions in the last 10 years. In 1992, Barrington Chemical was acquired. Barrington Chemical was a specialty cleaner and conversion coatings manufacturer based in Brighton, Michigan. This acquisition strengthened our industrial cleaner line and provided a presence in the Detroit marketplace. In 1992, Chemtool Incorporated acquired Metalcote: a specialty, private label manufacturer of lubricating greases based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Metalcote division manufactures private label greases and lubricants for a majority of the major oil companies, agricultural, and consumer markets.
Chemtool Incorporated conducts business domestically and internationally and enjoys close business relationships with some of the largest corporations in the automotive, steel, aircraft, and lubrication industries. We value our customers, employees, suppliers and the communities that we serve.
Lubrizol, a Berkshire Hathaway Company, acquired Chemtool in September 2013
- Founded in 1963 by James Athans
- Privately held corporation: James Athans President and owner
- Built and moved into present Crystal Lake facility in 1979
- AcquiredMetalcote (St. Paul, MN.) in 1992. Moved Metalcote to Crystal Lake, IL in the same year
- Acquired Barrington Chemical (Brighton, MI.) in 1992
- Expanded Crystal Lake, IL facility in 1989, 1992, 1998
- Built a new facility in Milan, MI in 1997
- Built a new facility in Tehachapi, CA in 1998, expanded in 2002
- Purchased and built facility in Rockton, IL 2008
- Purchased Corporate Technology Center in Rockton, IL 2009
- Purchased by Lubrizol August 30, 2013